Featured Post

Our Mission Statement

                 "This blog exists to amplify the often unheard voices of its  non-speaking authors, both as individuals and autistics....

Sunday, April 10, 2022

Wishes Do Come True by Rithik Sinhasan

 

This is a memory poem I wrote about meeting Soma for the first time, 3 years after I started RPM. I still get goosebumps remembering it.


Wishes Do Come True

Anticipation wells in my heart and mind. 

Today …..

I will meet the person who changed my life 

without even knowing of my existence. 

Thanks to her method of teaching 

I can now speak,

through my letterboard. 

We pull into the small parking lot, 

fence on two sides,

cobblestones leading to the house. 

A peaceful neighborhood, 

cars parked along the curb 

in front and on the side. 

I glance behind me,

as a car slowly makes its way past us. 

I collect my backpack from our rental car. 

It’s time to go in. 

As I take the first steps,

a tiny woman comes towards me

wearing a sari. 

She speaks softly, 

guiding me towards the front door, 

ushering me into a cool space. 

Immediately,

I am surrounded 

by a wash of warm connection.

This incredible lady is a celebrity 

to me and hundreds of other autistics. 

Being in the same room 

and working with her 

is my dearest wish come true.


Rithik Sinhasan 


No comments:

Post a Comment