Featured Post

Our Mission Statement

                 "This blog exists to amplify the often unheard voices of its  non-speaking authors, both as individuals and autistics....

Thursday, September 28, 2023

READ HEAT (pronounced "Red") by Aulton Grubbs

 

 

When I go new places in books, it
builds a delicate fire, coursing through words
Kindling flickers fanned by language 
Feeling so much power in listening  
It is delightful, funny, and terrifying to read
Find your dazzling flames in books
 
Frodo mingles with the “Little Women” of Alcott books
Grapes of Wrath and Atticus chat a bit
The opioid kings should Jane Goodall read
“The Code Talkers” win with words
Lincoln, Kennedy, and Obama seem to listen
To the power of syntax and language

The wars are filled with bloody language
I can see them on my mind’s screen through books
Good sings in the end if you listen
I find power in the literature and the light is lit
My mind fiercely ignites in words
The fire, the power, the necessary. Read.

Young and old should read

The beautiful, glorious, assaulting language
You can learn, revel, and devote in words
Environmental challenges, classics, family books
Colors, animals, the universe and really all of it
Pour out your heart and listen. 

Death to books, they say. Don’t listen.
Censorship means death and...a must-read
Jealousy and vengeance can’t extinguish it 
When looking at language,
Compassion is found in new ideas in books
Remember the selflessness and kindness in words

Victory only if you trust words
Too dim were the days with picture books, I listened
The opinions were in real books
New ideas emerged when I really read
I have read coarse language 
And lovely words that together seem to fit
 
Listen to the calm and fury in books  
I can’t explain what words and language 
Can do, but you can read about it.

1 comment:

  1. From The Listeners Book Club

    Kate-Great work
    Brynn-Most wonderful, Aulton
    Elodie-I like reading
    Jack M-amazing
    Nina-Beautiful and the truth
    Brielle-So moving. Books have enriched my life so much. So good, Aulton! Kudos
    Sasha-Beautifully written
    Nadia-Great booky poem! Love characters mingling.
    Pablo-Aulton, I loved the wonderful poem
    Devon-I think it was interesting and a neat idea for a poem
    Moritz-That is totally great, I love it. I admire your writing.
    Thomas-Super job!
    Arth-Books make me marvel. Aulton, how wonderful!
    Miller-Incredible. It is fascinating to think about reading. It is a world in itself. So great.
    Jack H-Outstanding, Aulton
    Jackson-Beautiful thoughts on the importance of books

    ReplyDelete