Featured Post

Our Mission Statement

                 "This blog exists to amplify the often unheard voices of its  non-speaking authors, both as individuals and autistics....

Friday, July 9, 2021

Without Voice by Sasha


Sometimes, I look back to the long journey of my life,
From staying silent to saying my thoughts,
From constantly acting like a fool that learns
To play games meant for babies,
Lacking the voice to say out loud:
“Please, teach me about the tons of beauty from life around.
Can, want, and am able to study countless things,
But I act out because you can’t hear me!“
Yet you let the war continue.
You bring sensory distracters and leave,
Allowing me to cry alone until I calm down.
You feel happy and content:
“The behavior is fixed!”
The past feels like a war, being treated like a fool.
Thinking back to coping endlessly with figuring out the way to be heard,
I couldn’t help but wonder if my family will place me
In a special institution?
Placed somewhere far away and be forgotten?
I was terrified, not knowing if this is the plan for the rest of my life.
I tried to protest, since I really felt
That my life will no longer be meaningful.
Firmed with my ability
To be somehow compliant with endless teaching,
Moving full steam ahead,
I had to act like a learner with something to prove:
I was somebody who did work
And who was able to learn!
Healing was all I wanted !
Life taught me
That someone who is good and has strong motivation,
Can be praised with teaching skills
Where communication was the target.
So I learned to have at least
Some words that came on pre-made plastic pieces
That I could form in sentences.
I figured out how to place words
pretending the basic meaningful communication.
Back then, I really hoped
That one day
I’ll let people know
About the well-formed language in my head.
But the worry about
When my speech will likely start to be meaningful to others,
Bothered me for a long time.
Such low motivated ...man!
I wanted that war to end !
Unexpectedly, my parents were still hopeful.
They found a teacher who showed me how to spell
On the letter board.
Printed letters of the alphabet allowed me
To say any word that came to my mind.
For a long time I was waiting for the moment
When the thoughts in my head will be heard !
Meaningful and nice, full of wonderfully forming ideas,
My friendly, bright life has finally began !
I mastered pointing out words.
The teaching lessons came to be pleasure instead of torture.
My letter board voice became stronger and stronger
Letting inner thoughts out after they were
Stored unspoken for a long time.
My war has stopped, but my life continues.
I found that lots of papers posted by scientists
About life with autism,
May lead families to make a wrong choice
For people like me.
So, I decided to write this and many more poems
To tell the truth
About the mystery of life
Without voice.

2 comments:

  1. i think i t is well said . i can relate to every thing you said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sasha, as a mother of a non-speaking person, I can say from experience that words like yours will change lives. Thanks to courageous authors like you I found the path to meaningful communication for my daughter. Keep shining your truth into this world! Most Gratefully, Tobi Stewart

    ReplyDelete